Thursday, August 13, 2009

#123 Create a Piece of Art & Sell it

After a local artist removed her paintings (they didn't sell), I was in need of some unique artwork for my restaurants bare walls on an extreme budget. I had hundreds of corks from all the wine we sell and set out to find an idea for some cool, modern & cheap cork projects. I came across several creative cork sites: Cork Dork, Garbriel Wiese Gallery, & Terramia. They all had great ideas, but I settled on a large cork board. I used synthetic as well as natural corks and wood glue. I didn't have much luck with a glue gun, the corks kept popping off.

I have completed two, each took about 40 hours and 300 corks. The total cost was $30 (of course exluding my very valuable labor). They are hanging in my restaurant right now and tons of people comment on them. I think it's time to sell for the sake of crossing off another experience on my bucket list!! Pricing this weird art has been difficult; too low and you don't seem like a legit artist...too high and people think your a rip off. I think I have settled on a price of $349 each, now I just have to get up the nerve to put up the price tags!

No comments:

Post a Comment