Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bucket List #36. Run (at least) a 5K

I starting training for my first 5K today. I am not a runner, nor am I a jogger....heck, I barely like to walk. A friend had told me about the "From Couch to 5K" training program. If you follow the plan, you should be crossing the finish line in 9 weeks.
On the week one agenda was the following: A brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes (3x/week). My initial thought was that day one would be pretty easy, much better than the typical 60 minute spin class I would have taken that day. But, to my surprise, I was winded after 10 minutes. Hmm...lesson learned...running is not the same as spinning. If someone was literally a "couch potato", day one would most likely not lead to a day 2! But, I am excited that I only have 8 weeks & 6 days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment